Container to serve as well
Bottle of water (if not at home)
- Acoustic signal: Clap hands three times.
- Purification: Walk sunwise around the ritual space, focus more on setting the space ‘apart’ for the ritual than actually purifying it, take nine deep breaths.
- Honor the Earth Mother: Place hands on ground, extemporaneous words of praise, offer some flour
- Statement of purpose: Extemporaneous words to the effect that I come to observe the solstice, to reinforce my commitment to the path of paganism, and to introduce myself to my local spirits.
- (Re)create the Cosmos.
- Put the silver dollar into the well. Say something spontaneous to the effect of: “The realm of the deep, home of the ancestors.”
- Light the candle. Say something spontaneous to the effect of “The realm above, home of the shining ones.”
- Offer water to the tree. Say something to the effect of “The middle realm. My home, as well as the home of those I care for and the nature spirits.”
- Invoke the Gatekeeper, Open the gate
- Invoke Curennos. Something like “Cernunnos, on this Solstice, I ask your assistance. You, who are half stag, half man, sitting in between. I ask today that you join this ritual as gatekeeper.”
- Open the gates. “Cernunnos, gatekeeper, open this gate.” Visualize a portal opening above the well and fire.
- Invite the Kindred
- Invite the ancestors. “Ancestors, old ones, whose blood flows in my veins, I ask that you hear me this day. Accept my offering” — pour out some drink — “and from beyond this mortal realm, join me this Solstice in ritual.”
- Invite the nature spirits. “Spirits of the land, of beast and wing, of stone and tree, I ask that you hear me this day. Accept my offering” — scatter some bird seed — “and join me this Solstice in ritual.”
- Invite the gods. “Shining ones, matrons and patrons, from your realm on high I ask that you hear me this day. Accept my offering” — pout out some drink — “and join me in this Solstice ritual.”
- Offerings? Beings of the occasion? All the Kindred
- Prayer of sacrifice?
- Apologize for the cowardice of avoiding a straight up-or-down omen. Speak earnest praise individually for the ancestors, the nature spirits and the gods as the Tarot cards are shuffled. Maintain focus on their presence and the presence of the gate.
- “I take these three omens, that I might know the will of the ancestors, of the nature spirits, and of the gods in this rite and in my life.” Turn over one card as each Kindred is mentioned.
- Contemplate first impressions — Deeper ‘book’ meanings will be looked up later.
- Workings: Praise, presentation of myself to the kindred. Declaration of intent to build a relationship.
- Thank the beings
- Thank the gods. “Shining ones, I thank you for your participation in this ritual today. Your presence has inspired me.” Pour out more drink. “I praise and thank you.”
- Thank the nature spirits. “Nature spirits, I thank you for your participation in this ritual today. Your presence has encouraged me.” Scatter more birdseed.
- Thank the ancestors. “Ancestors, I thank you for your participation in this ritual today. Your presence has strengthened me.”
- Thank Cernunnos? Offering? More birdseed?
- Close the gates. “Cernunnos, with gratitude for the assistance you have provided me this Solstice, I ask that you once again close the gates.”
- Thank the Earth Mother. “Earth Mother, I thank you today not only for the bounty from which we live in excess, but for the assistance you have provided here today.” Empty the drink.
- Close the rite. “With [Insert emotion here] I hereby end this ritual.”
- Audio signal: Clap hands three times.